DataViz for Anti-Racism
This is a course about making the numbers real.
This is a forever free data visualization course.
It was designed to provide you with practical lessons on data visualization and illustration methods that could be useful in supporting the work of social justice organizations, community organizers, and activists.
- This specific course is not highly technical. We will use commercial but free to use tools (i.e. Canva) and regular use software (MS Excel).
- We will focus heavily on analyzing existing public datasets and sources.
- In terms of products, we will mostly be developing infographics, featured images, slide docs, and other forms of data illustration.
- I am a white male who believes that dismantling structural racism is a fundamental 21st century challenge. I also have a professional and educational background studying issues of racial equity.
- All that said, I am a privileged white male. I follow the strong leadership of BIPOC organizers, activists, and scholars. I see my job here as teaching techniques to support a cause I believe in, not to whitesplain racism.
- This course will grow over time.
I am an Evaluator (professional guide who helps change makers make change). I also create things and teach stuff.
StartLesson 1: Introduction (0:57)
StartLesson 2: Exploring IDEA Data (2:21)
StartLesson 3: Analyzing Discipline Data (5:12)
StartLesson 4: Creating the Infographic (6:51)
StartLesson 5: Catch my Mistake? (1:47)
StartYour Turn: Infographic Project
StartDown the Rabbit Hole: Dr. Asa G. Hilliard III: Trumpeter for the Academic and Cultural Excellence of African American Children